Salt Lake City Sx 2017

Photos- Tyler Johnson- Elevated Mx

Round 15 of Monster Energy Supercross were not one to miss!! One of the most anticipated head to battles to date was the take place at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Utah. Tomac and Dungey entered this round tied in points. Both riders emerged with red plates. Both riders ready to enter the last stretch of 2017 Supercross.

The 250 Class equally as engaging with so many talented riders coming through the ranks this year. Heat one for the 250’s gave Davalos, Oldenburg and Forkner 1-2-3 respectively. Tyler Bowers returned to make the main after a hiatus as well.

Heat 2 saw a dominating Aaron Plessinger- who looked great in front of this Utah crowd- take the win! Justin Hill and Shane McElrath rounded out the top three to transfer to main.

250 Main Event saw rookie Austin Forkner grab the hole shot as his first race back after missing a few rounds. Plessinger was quick to take over first position, however. McElrath was able to pass Forkner for second and Justin Hill was in fourth. A crash for AP in the whoops unfortunately took him out of the main event and gave McElrath the lead. Second place Forkner followed suit like Plessinger going down in the whoops allowing Hill to pass him. He would end up sixth for the night. Hill had to remain in third to wrap up the 250 Championship but in the final lap Davalos passed him. In the last corner before the finish Hill was able to pass Davalos to get back third and clinch the title! Big celebrations at the finish line for McElrath, Oldenburg and Hill taking 1-2-3 in Salt Lake City!

Heat 1 of the 450’s saw Josh Grant taking his first heat race win since 2009. Teammates Broc Tickle and Justin Bogle rounded out second and third for the heat race.

Heat 2 gave us a preview of the much-anticipated battle of the dueling red plates. Dungey got off to a great start and was able to keep that clear track from holeshot to checkers. Tomac kept his pace but was unable to catch Dungey. Third place went to Anderson.

450 Main Event started off with an unfavorable start for Eli Tomac and a very good one for Ryan Dungey. In the first 10 minutes of the main event Tomac had worked his way all the way up to second place and the heat was on. The crowd in SLC was on its feet and one of the loudest to date! The battle of two super talented athletes was coming to a head. Tomac sized up Dungey several times and then was finally able to make the pass inside. Once he was by he increased his lead to take it all the way to the checkers. The fire finish took on a new meaning here in Salt Lake as clearly Tomac was ON FIRE to recover from a horrible start to a first place finish! Met Life Stadium in NJ- HERE WE COME! Do not miss Round 16 of SUPERCROSS

You must be logged in to post a comment Login